Friday, August 23, 2019

Book Review: Love Never Quits by Gina Heumann


Love Never Quits


by Gina Heumann
Memoir

WHACK… At three in the morning Gina was sound asleep, yet somehow she was smacked in the head. She looked over at her husband, thinking perhaps he accidentally rolled over and flopped his arm on top of her, but he was sleeping soundly and facing the opposite direction. She turned to the other side and glaring back at her was her eight-year-old child.

“Did you just hit me?”

“Yes, and I’d do it again.”

“Whyyyy?”

“Because you took away my video games.”

“That was EIGHT HOURS AGO. And you’re still mad about it?”

“I wish I could kill you.”

This is the true story of the hell one family lived through parenting a child with reactive attachment disorder, a severe diagnosis related to children who experienced early-childhood trauma.

This inspirational story covers over a decade of daily struggles until they finally found resolution and made it to the other side. The family remained intact, and this once challenging son is now achieving things never thought possible.
Why I Wanted To Read...

Anytime the word adoption uproots itself, I'm there. I was adopted myself and I know all the trials and tribulations that go with it. Aside from that, by the premise of the book, I was dying to find out how the author handled the situations that were put in front of her. Love Never Quits: Surviving and Thriving After Infertility, Adoption, and Reactive Attachment Disorder was just the ticket.

My Thoughts on the Book Cover... 

This is an absolutely beautiful and eye-catching cover and very professional looking.

What I Loved... 

I really loved the back story leading up to the adoption. It pulled me in with details of what the author's life was like going through infertility and reading about how she adopted her first child, then the second which is really what this book is all about.

What I Didn't Like.. 

I must have been too involved in the story to nitpick. Sorry can't remember a thing I didn't like. I never got bored which I find to do when reading some memoirs.

My Thoughts.... 

This is a truly inspiring story and is beautifully written. It is an honest and touching memoir that will give hope to those families dealing with a child with RAD and will make you feel hopeful in the end. Gina Heumann is my new role model. What she had to go through dealing with a child with RAD makes her worthy of a medal. I would fully recommend Love Never Quits. It is a must read for anyone dealing with infertility and adoption. I would say it helps recognize the characteristics of a child with RAD and how to deal with it using Gina's story as a guide of sorts. Adoption is like a box of chocolate. You never know what you're going to get but after reading this book, you will know what signs to look out for if your child as RAD and how to handle it. A must read!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment