Friday, July 31, 2020

Book Review: Pain In My Heart by Daryl-Jarod

Pain In My Heart

by Daryl-Jarod
Poetry

Pain in My Heart is a candid and honest journey through the eyes of a hopeless romantic. Each poem serves as part of a puzzle that not only pieces together heartache and love, but also the vulnerable parts we fearfully conceal from the world.

Poems that cover topics of self-love, depression, anxiety, and life as a gay black male in today’s society, all await you as Daryl-Jarod unlocks his heart to yours, one page at a time.

Why I Wanted To Read...

I have friends in the LGBT community and I hear their frustrations. I wanted to read more on the subject.

My Thoughts on the Book Cover... 

The book cover expresses to me self-love.

What I Loved... 

These poems are deep and goes right through the heart.

What I Didn't Like.. 

Not a thing, but it did make me sad.

My Thoughts.... 

As I mentioned above, I have friends in the LGBT community. They open up to me and I sense their pain. I sense their happiness as well but underneath is a layer of frustration which makes it hard to self-love. A few have succeeded but a lot have inner turmoil. The poems in this book expressed their innermost thoughts written quite eloquently and succinct by Daryl-Jarod, a member of the LGBT community.

Here's one that sums it up which is the beginning poem of the book.

NO TURNING BACK
Knife to his throat 

Pain in his heart 
He contemplates his life 
And realizes there’s no turning back
If he takes this leap 

He could surely change his fate 
But if he gives up now 
What about those he’ll leave behind?
Is it selfish to want the nagging pain to end? 

Is it absurd to wish those tears away? 
Is it truly a sin to play God  
And end your own life? 

This puts a dagger right through the heart. I believe gay men tend to take on female characteristics such as being sensitive, yet not afraid of expressing their thoughts when heterosexual men tend to keep that stuff inside.

I enjoyed reading Pain In My Heart even though it left me a bit sad. Daryl-Jarod's PAIN IN MY HEART is a living testament of the inner soul of gay men. Quite an eye-opener!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment