Thursday, June 30, 2022

Book Review: Grandma's Tales: Wild Creatures in My Neighborhood and What If I Went to the Circus by Cheryl Carpinello


Grandma's Tales: Wild Creatures in My Neighborhood and What If I Went to the Circus
by Cheryl Carpinello
Children's Picture Book

Grandma and Grandpa’s Tales books 1-3 encourage early readers with fun stories incorporating difference aspects of nature. Book 1, Wild Creatures In My Neighborhood and What if I Went to the Circus, explores the wildlife around neighborhoods and introduces decision-making. Book 2Singers of Songs and The Not Too Stubborn Humpback, explores a common, but not so common insect, and lets readers see that being stubborn isn’t always good. Book 3Vampires in the Backyard and A Fish Tale, introduces readers to an extended metaphor and lets them decide if the fish story is real.

Purchase at Amazon:  https://amzn.to/3374bEX

Why I Wanted To Read...

The cover is what drew me to this book!

My Thoughts on the Book Cover... 

So the book is two stories in one book, right? So how do you make one cover for two stories? I don't know who made this cover, but he or she did an excellent job incorporating the cute story about creatures in the neighborhood and life at the circus. I loved it.

What I Loved... 

It was a delightful menage of imagery for kids to fully understand and I can see how it would give them a lesson or two in decision making.

What I Didn't Like. 

Sorry, too delightful and nothing I didn't like.

My Thoughts... 

I'll start with Wild Creatures in My Neighborhood. Children's imaginations are so non-limiting. It's a pity they lose that when they become adults. In this story, a child notices that there are wild animals living with them in the city and it was enlightening to see the child discover that animals aren't restricted to the country or zoo but could be right there in their own neighbood.
The second story, What If I Went to the Circus?  - Oh how I love circus stories but of course in all fun picture book stories, there's always hopefully something to help the child discover, grow and learn more about their surroundings. And this one is certainly the one to do that. I love circus stories but when they teach some kind of learning lesson, I'm all for it.
I truly loved both stories and am giving it my blue paw print of approval! 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review.

    ReplyDelete